Friday 22 November 2013

What is sarcoma? What is MFH?

Dear readers,
[20th Nov 2013]
We are at PPUKM (previously known as HUKM); hubby is having MRI scan on his left thigh. So, while waiting for hubby, it's better for me to keep my words.
[21st Nov 2013]
Huhu.. I was supposed to post this entry yesterday. But, before I could even reach 2nd paragraph, hubby came out from MRI room. :-)
OK.. My husband was first diagnosed with sarcoma - malignant fibrous histiocytoma somewhere early August 2013. First question came to my mind: what is SARCOMA? Thanks to the internet; I got my answer.
"Sarcomas are rare cancers that develop in the muscle, bone, nerves, cartilage, tendons, blood vessels and the fatty and fibrous tissues.
There are about 100 different types of sarcoma that fall into three main types:
  • Soft tissue sarcoma
  • Primary bone sarcoma
  • Gastro-intestinal stromal tumours or GIST – a soft tissue sarcoma found in the stomach and intestines"
Source: http://www.sarcoma.org.uk
[22nd Nov 2013]

Sorry, this post keeps on being postponed due to several reasons. Let's continue. 

My husband's sarcoma is classified as Malignant fibrous histiocytoma (MFH); cancer of fibrous connective tissue. Basically MFH is categorized as soft tissue cancer. MFH (which has more recently being classified as pleomorphic undifferentied sarcoma (PUS)) is considered the most common type of soft tissue sarcoma. It has an aggressive biological behavior and a poor prognosis

So, now you know what is sarcoma and MFH. Many people might have heard of sarcoma but not MFH. Even in my husband's case, he is the only MFH patient being treated at PPUKM; either under Oncology or Cardiothoracic department.

In our next post, we will talk about how and when we first found about hubby having this MFH.

Till then.. take care and have a nice day!!!

Cheers,
Intan & Naim
22-Nov-2013
Shah Alam

No comments:

Post a Comment